POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oh what joy! : Re: Oh what joy! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:22:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Oh what joy!
From: Invisible
Date: 26 Jun 2008 12:02:15
Message: <4863bd87@news.povray.org>
Gail Shaw wrote:

> Um, actually...
> http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,108831-page,1/article.html

A study found that some people selling drives hadn't even bothered to
erase them at all. Pressing the "delete" button doesn't erase the file.

This isn't news.

> http://www.guard-privacy-and-online-security.com/how-clean-off-the-hard-driv
> e.html

This doesn't look terribly convincing to me.

> Your boss is right. It may not be as easy as 'undelete' but the data's there
> and it doesn't take a microscope to find it, and it could be worth a lot of
> money.

Right. Well I'll tell you what, you show me an actual technique that
allows you to recover data from a harddrive after every individual block
has been written with zeros, without the use of a microscope. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/